Taqiyya is the formal name given to a specific type of lie within Islam. Taqiyya is a time tested strategy for lying about the nature of Islam to conceal intentions. It is also taught in the Quran that to lie to an infidel is really no lie at all. Dishonesty, misdirection and subterfuge are well accepted teachings of the Islamic faith in pursuit of Islamic dominance. One only allows the truth to prevail when it is believed that the strength of Islam is so significant as to overwhelm the Infidel to whom the comfortable lie has been told.
The Brotherhood claims, in the context of Egypt, to want nothing more than peace achieved through non-violence; to honor the will of the Egyptian people. That may be true for the moment, but as the moments change and opportunities appear so will Brotherhood tactics and strategies. Taqiyya?
But wait! The illuminating view of the Muslim Brotherhood comes from the Brotherhood itself. The Brotherhood maintains a “Guide”, this position, this man, represents the Theologian-in-Chief and is responsible for defining the religious context of Brotherhood activities, strategies and political platforms. Currently the “Guide” is Mohammed Badi (or Badie in various translations). What has Mr. Badi to say in the context of the Brotherhood’s creed; “Allah is our goal; the Prophet is our guide; the Quran is our constitution; Jihad is our way; and death for the glory of Allah is our greatest ambition”.
- “According to the Islamic shari’a that Allah has bequeathed to mankind, the status of the Muslims, compared to that of the infidel nations that arrogantly disdain his shari’a, is measured in a kind of scale, in which, when one side is in a state of superiority, the other is in a state of inferiority!”
- “The U.S. is on the threshold of collapse and will soon fall like other immoral societies.”
- “The only way to repel the vicious attack on our land and restore our honor and glory is to sacrifice our souls, our money our time, our lives and anything else for the sake of a noble cause.”
- I reject the definition of Jihad as terrorism; Jihad must not be likened to terrorism.”
- Regarding Israel; “Stop the absurd negotiations, direct or indirect and support all forms of resistance for the sake of liberating Palestine, Iraq and Afghanistan.”
- “All clauses of a state constitution which Islam and its precepts do not permit must be removed.”
- Regarding Egypt; The authority of Shari’s will be implemented. Islam is the official state religion and the source of legislation.” “The Supreme Council of Clerics will be final word and will serve the best interests of the Public.”
- “A non Muslim is prohibited from the office of President or Prime Minister.”
- The role of women; “Women constitute half the population and they balance the family roles. Islam has treated woman as man’s sister. As for a woman’s role with regard to employment Islam stipulates that it should be balanced against the woman’s lofty mission at home.” (Political) offices occupied by women are determined by social consensus resting on the authority of Islamic culture.” “The burdens of the Presidency must not be placed on a woman’s shoulders any more than supervision of or leading the army, since they contradict her nature and her social and humanitarian roles.”
Pundits and Obama Administration officials are anxious to downplay the potential impact of the Muslim Brotherhood. They point out that the Brotherhood has been “illegal” in Egypt for 30 years; true as far as it goes. What is also true is that during those thirty years Brotherhood chapters have appeared in 70 countries including its poster child Hamas. A former Brotherhood member describes the Brotherhood as “the background music that radical Islam dances too.” No bad for an illegal organization suffering suppression! Reliable sources also point to 29 U.S based organizations affiliated with the Brotherhood.
What is also true is that the Brotherhood captured 27 seats in the Egyptian Parliament in the last round of elections by running as thinly disguised “independents”; wink, wink, nod, nod.
A 2010 Pew Research Poll revealed the following about Egyptians views:
- 95% believe Islam should play a “large role in politics”
- 49% believe Islam only plays a “small role” in Egypt today
- 84% believe apostates from Islam should face the death penalty
- 82% believe adulterers should be stoned
- 77% believe thieves should be flogged or have their hands cut off
- 54% believe men and women should be segregated in the work place
Brotherhood official Kamal al-Halbavi points to the example that he hopes Egypt will aspire to; “a good government, like the Iranian government, and a good president like Mr. Ahmadinejad, who is very brave.”