47% of households pay no taxes, enjoy “free” services

This statistic is sickening considering how much of a bill half the country is flipping for the other half. In fact, the most sickening part is probably the rest of the stats in this story that the top 10% of income earners pay 73% of the taxes. Furthermore, this number is only going to rise under increased spending and programs such as ObamaCare.

Yahoo News reports:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Tax Day is a dreaded deadline for millions, but for nearly half of U.S. households it’s simply somebody else’s problem.

About 47 percent will pay no federal income taxes at all for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability. That’s according to projections by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research organization.

Half the country is using government services that the other half is paying for. Where is the personal stake for every individual? It should not matter your income, even if you are paying $10 in taxes, everyone should be paying something. You wake up every morning under the banner of freedom provided by the US military yet half the country doesn’t pay to fund the military.

Of course, there are some who, for reasons of disability or other, cannot work and do not pay taxes and that is to be expected.

The result is a tax system that exempts almost half the country from paying for programs that benefit everyone, including national defense, public safety, infrastructure and education. It is a system in which the top 10 percent of earners — households making an average of $366,400 in 2006 — paid about 73 percent of the income taxes collected by the federal government.

Wealthy households are constantly berated and demonized by President Obama yet they are the people paying his salary and flipping the hefty bill for his enormous social programs.

Also, just to note, someone will tell me I am advocating for raising taxes since I am calling for people who currently don’t pay taxes to begin flipping some of the bill.

Let me be clear, I am not advocating raising taxes, I am advocating spreading the tax burden, at least in some capacity, to all households in the country, not the 53% currently paying for the services of the other 47%. However, trying to see a politician run on a platform of “making everyone pay taxes” is somewhat laughable and will never happen.

Ideally the fair tax achieves this by taxing consumption, not income.