The media has basically glossed over this story while editorializing and hyping another murder in the news. Therefore, in the interest of honoring Pvt. Long and his decision to serve his country, I have chosen to bring this story to light.
Report from the New York Times:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A 23-year-old man upset about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan opened fire from his truck at two soldiers standing outside a military recruiting station here on Monday morning, killing one private and wounding another, the police said.
The gunman, identified by the police as Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad of Little Rock, fled the scene and was arrested minutes later a short distance from the recruiting station, in a bustling suburban shopping center. The police confiscated a Russian-made SKS semiautomatic rifle, a .22-caliber rifle and a handgun from his black pickup truck.
The two privates, who were both from Arkansas, were in Little Rock as part of a recruiting program that typically uses soldiers recently out of basic training to promote the Army in their home regions, Army officials said.
“They were serving their country,” said Lt. Col. Thomas F. Artis, commander of the Oklahoma City recruiting battalion, which includes Arkansas. “They were just standing outside, just taking a five-minute break, just minding their own business — and this happens.”
The dead soldier was identified as Pvt. William A. Long, 23, of Conway, about 30 miles north of Little Rock. The other victim, Pvt. Quinton Ezeagwula, 18, was in stable condition at Baptist Medical Center, Chief Stuart Thomas of the Little Rock Police Department said.
In a lengthy interview with the police, Mr. Muhammad said he was angry about the killing of Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan, Chief Thomas said. Previously known as Carlos Bledsoe, Mr. Muhammad told investigators that he had converted to Islam as a teenager, Chief Thomas said.
Chief Thomas said investigators believe that Mr. Muhammad acted alone. He seemed to be familiar with the Army recruiting office because it was not far from his home, the chief said, but might have been on the prowl for anyone in uniform.
According to Fox News, Mr. Muhammad has pleaded not guilty:
A convert to Islam accused of having “political and religious motives” in a deadly Arkansas military center shooting pleaded not guilty to capital murder Tuesday and was ordered held without bond.
One soldier died and another was wounded in what police say was a targeted attack by Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, 23, on U.S. forces.
Muhammad, an American citizen who is a convert to Islam and previously was known as Carlos Bledsoe, already had been under investigation by the FBI at the time of the shootings.
Muhammad was charged in Monday’s death of Pvt. William Long, 23, outside the Army-Navy Career Center, which handles recruiting, in Little Rock.
A prosecutor said Muhammad admitted shooting Long and another soldier “because of what they had done to Muslims in the past.”
Long and Pvt. Quinton Ezeagwula, 18, had recently completed basic training and had never seen combat. Ezeagwula was in stable condition at a hospital.
Private Long chose to serve his country and has now given his life for this cause. The media has not discussed this story much because it does not fit into the liberal mold.
Private Long is essentially a victim of the War on Terror at the hands of a Muslim extremist. He should be honored above all, my prayers and thoughts are with his family.
Hot Air has some interesting insight on the White House’s priorities:
When Dr. Tiller was murdered, the White House released a statement on Sunday afternoon. As of 11:15 a.m. EST, the Commander in Chief has yet to release a statement condemning the murder of a member of the armed forces by a suspected terrorist.
Still no statement as of now. Very shameful.
Pvt. Long’s father, Daris Long, spoke to KATV:
Our prayers are with them through this time.